Your Homestays experience includes:
- A clean, comfortable room, lit by candles or solar light and furnished in traditional Ladakhi style
- Traditional Ladakhi meals, cooked hygienically using eco-friendly methods
- Boiled spring water to drink
- A clean, traditional dry-composting toilet
- Refreshing showers with solar-heated water, at a few sites
- Local nature guides in some villages to show you around the village and take you on wildlife tours
- Special snow leopard treks in winter, led by local naturalists
The Homestays Experience
Adventure, natural beauty and caring for the environment – how often does one get an opportunity to help their environment when they go on holiday? With Himalayan Homestays, you can. Here’s a concept that wraps travel, tourism and ecological development in to one attractive and out-of-the-world experience.
Homestays offer you a unique opportunity to stay with and share the culture of the Ladakhi people in remote villages, while trekking through the rugged habitat of the endangered snow leopard. By staying with the locals of Ladakh, you help them generate income from tourism activities
in their region.
The Homestays endeavour in Ladakh kicked off in 2002 to aid the conservation of the rare snow leopard. By generating income for locals, the programme increases the community’s stake in conserving wildlife and also offsets livestock losses caused by snow leopards and other predators.